[PD] 24bit on Linux Indigo IO

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 11:58:40 CEST 2007

Duh,

I think I was just unlucky and got a duff card - in Window$ it plays back sound files v-e-r-y slowly, a1 1/10th the sample rate, with some grotesque clock sound!

It's being replaced as soon as I ship it back, so I'll report back when the replacement arrives.

I've tried a 24bit interface with PD before though - a Soundblaster USB. It just made loud clicking noises. We'll see what the Indigo gives me.

Best,
Ed

Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get PD working with a 24bit soundcard under
> Linux?

What's your sound API? OSS? ALSA? JACK? Have you tried any others?

> but I get a decimated mess using PD - sounds like a 24bit DAC playing
> back a 16bit word...

Does that mean just lower quality or does it mean playing some
seemingly-garbage sounds at very high volume and very high pitch? The very
high pitches would be related to 1/3 of the sample rate, but in the case
of 96 kHz that's clearly ultrasounds, and with 48 kHz that's on the limit
of ultrasounds. Most likely you would instead hear moiré between that
pattern and lower-pitched patterns. I've never really heard 16/24 bit
misinterpretation so I'm guessing.

Do you get any console messages and/or terminal messages about number of
bits?

Lone Shark "Aviation" out now on http://www.pyramidtransmissions.com
http://www.myspace.com/sharktracks