[PD] how to make a proportional canon

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Tue Jul 10 17:55:52 CEST 2007

Is the ratio consistent? Or does it change frequently during the piece.
My only experience with canon's is with one of Brian Eno's tape pieces
using Pachelbel's Canon, where he feeds notes into a tape loop which can
be played back at slower than real time. So, in the spirit of tape
loops, and especially if the ratio is consistent, why not write your
incoming notes into a circular table, which gets played back at a
proportionate reduction of speed?

Sorry I don't have time to patch that idea up right now, but maybe it
will be enough of a shift from your current line of thinking on the
problem to get you moving in a new direction...

best,
d.

Libero Mureddu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I´m trying to implement a patch to play proportional canons in real time
> from a midi source.
> A proportional canon works in this way: if I play, let´s say, three
> notes at 200ms of speed, and if I decide that the proportion should be 2
> times slower, the patch should playback the same three notes at 400ms
> speed.
>
> I thought I could record the distance between notes with timer, and then
> send the time difference (multiplied by a certain factor), to pipe, but
> it seems that pipe cannot handle the change of delay time, if more than
> one change in delay has to be stored before playing back the previous.
>
> Do you have any suggestion?
>
> In other words, what I would like to do is to record and at the same
> time (or later) playing back at
> a slower speed.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Libero