[PD] Pidip streaming patch

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jul 12 23:13:11 CEST 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 11:58 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Hey Yves,
>>
>> Do you think it would be possible to make an object that has the same
>> name on both platforms, but one is based on pdp_ieee1394 and the
>> other on pdp_v4l?  That would make for cross-platform pidip patches,
>> which would be quite nice.
>

> how about making an abstraction [pdp_video] (or whatever) which
> would be
> [pdp_v4l] on linux and [pdp_ieee1394] on os-x.
>
> i would suggest the same for the [pdp_glx] and [pdp_xv] objects (e.g.
> [pdp_screen] or [pdp_output] if these do not yet exist)
>

> the installer/packager/... would take care of which [pdp_video] to
> install (e.g. by generating this abstraction, or adding the extra/
> <os>/
> path where the correct oebject resides to the properties...

That seems more complicated than just making:

gcc -o pdp_video.pd_darwin pdp_ieee1394.c

and

gcc -o pdp_video.pd_linux pdp_v4l.c

That's basically how Gem does it, right?

----

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General
Smedley Butler