[PD] Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc4 released on ubuntu

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Jul 13 00:37:54 CEST 2007

Hallo,

> On Jul 12, 2007, at 2:45 PM, Georg Holzmann wrote:
>
> > Hallo!
> >
> >> the other thing is only related to my setup i guess. i would like to
> >> know if anyone experience this. if i don't chmod +s /usr/local/bin/pd
> >> then i have many glitches in pd (xruns). i am using ubuntu studio
> >> (feisty) with the realtime kernel.
> >
> > are you starting with pd -rt ?
>
> On GNU/Linux, does Pd use realtime or regular mode by default?  It
> sounds like maybe -rt should be added to the /usr/local/lib/pd/
> default.pdsettings that's included in the package.

No, better not: It's dangerous, if your patch is buggy and pd runs
wild. I only use -rt during performances.

Regarding patco's problem with realtime mode: "chmod +s" is not a good
idea as it's a potentially big security hole opening up your system
for all kind of local exploits.

And it's not necessary, if your system is set up correctly.  Correctly
means, that you need a current libpam (Ubuntustudio has it) and you
need to set up /etc/security/limits.conf accordingly.  Accordingly
means, have something like this in it:

@audio         -       nice            -10
@audio         -       rtprio          99
@audio         -       memlock         -1

and your user needs to be in group "audio" then.

If even then, Pd's realtime mode isn't activated, then something much
deeper is wrong.

Ciao