[PD] Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc4 released on ubuntu

Patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Fri Jul 13 01:25:08 CEST 2007

Hello!

Frank Barknecht a écrit :
> Hallo,
>

>> On Jul 12, 2007, at 2:45 PM, Georg Holzmann wrote:
>>

>>> Hallo!

>>> are you starting with pd -rt ?
>>>
>> On GNU/Linux, does Pd use realtime or regular mode by default?  It
>> sounds like maybe -rt should be added to the /usr/local/lib/pd/
>> default.pdsettings that's included in the package.
>>

> No, better not: It's dangerous, if your patch is buggy and pd runs
> wild. I only use -rt during performances.
>
> Regarding patco's problem with realtime mode: "chmod +s" is not a good
> idea as it's a potentially big security hole opening up your system
> for all kind of local exploits.
>
> And it's not necessary, if your system is set up correctly.  Correctly
> means, that you need a current libpam (Ubuntustudio has it) and you
> need to set up /etc/security/limits.conf accordingly.  Accordingly
> means, have something like this in it:
>
> @audio         -       nice            -10
> @audio         -       rtprio          99
> @audio         -       memlock         -1
>
> and your user needs to be in group "audio" then.
>
> If even then, Pd's realtime mode isn't activated, then something much
> deeper is wrong.
>
> Ciao

I don't particulary have realtime problems, with jackd, and with an
older realtime installation, I start pd-0.37 in root mode with -rt, it's
not very safe, but it works perfectly for the task the computer is made
for, to mimic a drum expander, and that's all.
Patrice Colet.

PS: I'll try to change my mail client settings for avoiding confusion
with names ;)