[PD] Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc4 released on ubuntu

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jul 13 21:36:19 CEST 2007

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> This is only possible if you are running Pd as root, which is general is not
> a good idea.  If Pd is running as a different user, then you wouldn't be able
> to gain root access.

We are *only* talking about setuid (chmod +s) and not starting pd from a
root login.

If pd is running as user "eighthave" but with setuid "root", pd is
dropping priviledges to be effectively just "eighthave", but does it the
wrong way, causing it to be able to regain effective "root" later.

I reported this bug last november:

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2006-11/007910.html

I have fixed that bug in devel_0_39 on 2006.11.23.