[PD] Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc4 released on ubuntu

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Jul 14 12:57:53 CEST 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2007, at 1:43 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>> Debian with libpam-modules 0.79-4.
>
> I wonder how to set up something like this in a package.  Too bad

i daresay you don't.

how about adding documentation to the README that explain how to setup
the /etc/security/limits.conf
just for the archives i repeat the steps:
make sure, your /etc/security/limits.conf holds these 3 lines:
 @audio - rtprio 99
 @audio - memlock 250000
 @audio - nice -10

imho, it would be not such a good idea to do that in the package-setup,
at least _without asking_ the user whether they really want that.
even though the adding these lines is far from as dangerous as the
setuid(), it still imposes the risk of anyone being a member of group
audio to freeze the computer, which - to my knowledge - is a "security
risk".

if you do think that it is too much, to ask people to read the readme
and do it yourself, you could use debconf (on debian/ubuntu) to ask the
user whether they really want that.
on non-debian systems i don't know, but surely there are mechanisms that
allow the same.

> there isn't something like /etc/security.d/, where packages can
> install things.  Anyone have any ideas along that line?  I guess one

the problem is, that /etc/security/limits.conf is not a per-application
but a per-user (including per-group) setting. so it does have
side-effects, which is probably the reason why there is no such thing as
you asked for.

fmgasd.r
IOhannes