[PD] setuid WAS Re: Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc4 released on ubuntu

Miller Puckette mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu
Sat Jul 14 19:49:06 CEST 2007

Hi Hans,

In general, I've held off fixing bugs in 0.39 for fear of introducing
new problems, especially since you've been working for so long to get
Pd extended out.  But this one is special since it's a security leak,
so I'm inclined to fix it.  If past experience is any guide, I'll make
a mistake in a CVS commit and wreak havoc that will take days to clear
up.  Well, maybe not, who knows.

I'm hoping it will prove easy enough to plug 0.40 into the extended
release mechanism that for non-security bug fixes, it will suffice for
me to fix them in 0.40 and wait for the march of time to propagate the
fix.  For instance, once I find the open-GOP-close-patch bug, I can
fix that both in 0.40 and "latest" but leave 0.39 alone.

Unless there's reason not to, I'll take the single offending 'e' character
out of 0.39, "tag" it 0.39-3, and commit... ?

cheers
Miller