[PD] how to know line~ has finished

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 10:56:51 CEST 2007

This is not necessary Jasch. In Pd we know that line [line~] has finished
because we told it how long to be a priori. Pd does not chain computations
as time sequenced events like, when A is finished begin B, when B is complete
begin C... It computes everything on the sheet (following right-left depth first
order) in "logical time".

I think Frank and Derek have both given very eloquent and thorough explanations of
"logical time"  behaviour in the past if you search through the archives. Miller
explains it in the primary documentation. It takes a little thought to get your
head around (well it took me a while for the penny to drop).

If you would like a bang message when [1 300(-[line~] is complete then you merely
have to say

       [bang(

[t       b         b]
 |                |
[del 300]      [1 300(
  |               |
[outlet done]   [line~]

              [outlet line]

Even though the evaluation goes right-left and depth first the bang appearing
at [outlet done] happens at the **exact** logical time that [line~] is complete.

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:06:28 +0200
jasch   <j at jasch.ch> wrote:

> hmm, errm, yes well, i'm actually running PDa on an ARM procesor ;=)
>
> anybody wants to port cyclone to PDa ? (hello fixed point DSP...)
>
> /*j  {chuckles}
>
> > You can also use Line~ or curve~, both from the cyclone lib and
> > included in Pd Extended.

Use the source