[PD] Digest mode (was Re: PD convention 2007: list of papers available?)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jul 16 19:17:11 CEST 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 01:01:01PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> Sorry, forgot to paste the subject line in previous posting of this mail.
>> (I'm in digest mode)
> I posted about this while you were away from the list so maybe you
> didn't see it.

Most likely not. I was reading pd-list directly from the archive from
january until mid-march, then completely skipped until june.

Originally i unsubscribed so that I could concentrate more on actual work
but it had the opposite effect. When this became obvious I had to
resubscribe.

> It's possible to change your subscription options to 'mime digest' which
> means that each message in the digest is stored as a sub-message that
> you can reply to separately.

Interesting but I just got off the digest mode and back to my mail setup
that i had in 2006. So, as grrrr said, I'm back! ;)

> Hopefully this will also stop the problem where people quote the entire
> digest in their replies to the list, which is very annoying for people
> using text based mailers (thankfully you are not guilty of that).

I'd never do that and I even cringe when people quote quotes of quotes
that have been quoted before and so on for 10 levels including all the
irrelevant details and many copies of the same signature footer that is
already 3 times too long by itself. If quoting was done properly, email
would be efficient, not cluttered.