[PD] a composition of mine made with pd

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 23:58:01 CEST 2007

> Ligeti video is here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8v-uDhcDyg

I'm somehow disappointed.... I always thought that Poeme Symphonique
was a cool composition, in which as your ears adjust to the sounds of
100 metronomes, new patterns and pitches can emerge.
But I think the audio quality is not good enough here.  They have to
compress the audio like that, so it's really a poor demonstration of
the composition.
I bet that it's a *lot* better live :)

On the other hand, *your* composition is awesome!!!!  I freaking love it!

I had made a composition, also inspired by Ligeti, awhile back, in
which I used Shepard tones as an instrument (you know the Risset
technique for producing a loop which continually decreases/increases
in pitch).
Well, I took the Risset loop, gapped it into notes and applied a
non-linear function which creates random rhythms in it.
Also, it's a canon :)

check out my page at:
http://czh.zapto.org/composition.html
There you will find the freqsweep suite, and freqsweep3.wav (the
largest one) has many characteristics similar to yours, such as
emergent patterns and the seeming constant continuous changes in
pitch.  You will probably want to try to download it, and not play it
from the site.  It will simply take too long.

Chuck