[PD] breath synthesizer

alexandre r. decoupigny alex.decoupigny at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 10:46:05 CEST 2007

thanks everybody.. this goes by far beyond my capabilities, so i decided to
turn
it around and create a sample-based patch.
the basic idea is to control a light installation through sound. 60 neon
tubes are controlled
via a custom built max patch. i want to connect the brightness of these
tubes to the  sound of breathing. my first thought was that it would be
easier to deduct data from a
patch based on synthesis. after the information i gathered from the list i
realize that this
is an immense task that has its focus only next to my intention. so i
decided to create a
sample based patch. at the moment i am using [fiddle] to read the amplitude
of the recorded breath sounds.. however there are some troubles, like its
very, very jumpy..
it is also difficult to find a sonically equivalent parameter to "breath
in.. breath out"..
pitch doesnt work.. [env] only reads the RMS so it does not change too
much..
amplitude is close to what we hear as rising and falling, but still very far
from the natural
perception.. maybe someone has an idea ? anyways.. i will keep you updated..
: )

alexandre d.