[PD] /etc/security/limits.conf WAS Re: Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc4 released on ubuntu

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jul 18 16:45:33 CEST 2007

Hallo,

> I am interested in the result rather than how it is implemented.  If
> that was a bad idea, are there any others?  I think it is important
> that the Pd packages work well after installing without having to
> tweak it, including having glitch-free audio after installing.

The issue is: Tweaking Pd is fine, but editing limits.conf is tweaking
a very different part of the system. If I may exaggerate a teeny-tiny
bit: I guess we would never consider to download, configure, compile
and install a realtime-patched kernel while installing Pd, even though
Pd would benefit from that.

Regarding getting glitch-free operation in Pd for "newbies": Just make
a big buffer size the default, then nobody should get (too many)
glitches even without realtime mode. As I wrote elsewhere, enabling
-rt for Pd as default in my opinion is a bad idea, and without that
startup setting, it doesn't matter at all what's in limits.conf. As I
wrote there as well: Personally I never run "-rt" except in
performances or rehearsals for performances.

> It  works like this with many programs on Mac OS X, I think it
> should  work the same on GNU/Linux.

Things may have changed, but when I still had Windows, no audio
application I installed has ever asked me if I would like to change
the security settings of my system.

> Not everyone wants to learn about this stuff.  Some people just want
> to install Ubuntu Studio and make music.  It would like to support
> that impulse.  I think that is possible without restricting people
> from getting deeper.

By all I know, Ubuntustudio, Jacklab, Pure:Dyne and 64Studio already
have limits.conf set up accordingly.

Ciao