[PD] /etc/security/limits.conf WAS Re: Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc4 released on ubuntu

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jul 18 20:50:29 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:

> I've never had stability problems with "-rt" and use it in all my routine
> work.  My idea is to make my development environment exactly the same as
> the performance environment to reduce the chance of surprises. However,
> if you're in the habit of having Pd spawn sub-processes, "-rt" is dangerous.
> I'm not sure if "renicing" is safe or not; I never do it myself, preferring
> to count on the RTPRIO setting to take care of things.

My main reason to not run -rt normally is to avoid the risk of getting
into a lockup when I do something wrong in my patch. ;)

A reason not to have it in .pdrc/.pdsettings is, that I often to run
two Pds, one for Gem, one for audio. I prefer starting the audio Pd
with -rt manually then, while the Gem-Pd won't run with -rt.

(I also run two Pds, because Gem with Mesa-DRI drivers crashes Pd when
closing the gemwin, and often even without closing. By running two Pds
I only loose half of my work.)

But anyway, I believe all this should be a choice of the user and not
be predefined by the package.

Ciao