[PD] [PD-dev] recursion in Gem - a tutorial

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Thu Jul 19 10:12:21 CEST 2007

Patrice Colet wrote:

>> IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
>  (i haen't seen [nnrepeat] on the website, so i
>>> don't know what it does) with [repeat] or with the [s]/[r] idiom claude
>>> has proposed.
>
> Apparently it does something like the attached patch, and the
> functionning is explained into the tutorial patch 06_break_symmetry.pd,
> I just need now to go on linux and compile to see how significantly
> faster is the external compared with the patch.

Again, I tried to create something similar in Pd, but ran into
re-entrancy bugs whenever I tried to use recursion.  I do not write
externals lightly, but in this case I think it was necessary.  If
someone knows how to solve this in pure Pd, I'd be delighted.

Your abstraction doesn't do what you think it does in the presence of
re-entrancy.  See attached test patch.

With max-depth = 2 and repetitions = 2.

My [nnrepeat] external:
->: 2 0