[PD] puredata system architecture

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jul 19 18:54:25 CEST 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Arie van Schutterhoef wrote:
>> --- FTS --- Documentation
>> Hi I think this site-documentation could be very useful:
>> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/guides/package/jmax/fts/index.html
>> It's documentation about jMax&FTS 1.5
> -Its the coucmentation about the audio-engine that part of jMax.

FTS was not just an audio-engine. it was a message-engine as well (floats
and ints and symbols and lists and anythings and custom atom types).

>> FTM under the name FTS
> -These are what was the Java-GUI 0f jMax.

jMax was the name of the whole package when it got open-sourced.

jMax was also the name of the client side (GUI) when put in opposition
with pyMax (which was an incomplete project bundled as part of the jMax
package).

FTS was the name of the server side (audio+message).

FTM is the name of some parts of FTS 4.x after they got separated from FTS
so that they could be used as a Max plugin. I believe that those parts
were mostly (or completely) written in the FTS 4.x... but I haven't
followed much of that side of the developments.