[PD] [PD-announce] the end of type restrictions

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jul 21 15:27:48 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Thomas O Fredericks hat gesagt: // Thomas O Fredericks wrote:

> In what case do you rely on using [unpack 0 0 0] except for throwing an
> error when it receives a symbol? As it was previously suggested on this
> list, why use anything else than [t a] or [t b]?

It's not in my responsibility to decide, if and where people may rely
on the ouput of [unpack] and how they use it, but as I see it, [unpack
0 0] is of contract between the patch author and Pd, which states,
that this construct will always give nothing but two floats.

What Matju does is breaking this contract, which I can only explain by
assuming, that he doesn't view it as a contract, but views the "0 0"
part more as a kind of default value for something like [unpack
anything anything].

While I'm a strong subscriber to the "[t a b] and nothing else" idea
and don't use [t f] anymore, I don't think, that [t f] should ever
output a symbol, and that's what [unpack 0] seems to do now in DD and
that's what I think is wrong.

Ciao