[PD] [PD-announce] the end of type restrictions

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jul 22 14:04:12 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >It's not in my responsibility to decide, if and where people may rely
> >on the ouput of [unpack] and how they use it, but as I see it, [unpack
> >0 0] is of contract between the patch author and Pd, which states,
> >that this construct will always give nothing but two floats.
>
> What is the thing that states it?

Maybe the Max/MSP reference manual, page 656? Quoting:

Arguments

anything

  Optional. The number of outlets is determined by the number of
  arguments. The arguments can be any combination of ints, floats, and
  symbols. The argument specifies the output of the unpack object's
  outlet; the input type is forced to the outlet type (e.g., outlets
  that correspond to int or float arguments will always output that
  type of number, converting the input items as necessary). If no
  argument is typed in, unpack will have two int outlets. Symbol
  arguments allow symbols to pass through, and change numbers to the
  empty symbol ("").

Yes, I know: Pd is not Max and Pd doesn't differentiate ints and
floats (here) and I'm not sure ATM how symbol arguments in Pd's unpack
deal with float inputs (I'm far away from a running Pd.)

Ciao