[PD] [PD-announce] the end of type restrictions

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 09:54:34 CEST 2007

I'm now quite confused about the purpose and direction of DesireData.
When Chun made his presentation at FAVE last year I was very excited.
The idea of forking the pd-gui to make a much improved interface that
could be used with Pd seemed wonderful, sensible, and needed. Several
people asked the question "Is this new interface compatible with the
existing Pd?", and the answer was an unqualified "yes".

I've always seen it as a smart move, taking advantage of Millers
forsight in designing Pd as a client-server architecture and using
that decoupling to improve the interface. I don't even understand
why anyone is talking about changing object behaviours, those are
part of the server/engine not the interface surely?

Is DesireData heading in the direction of being a completely
different piece of software incompatible with PureData?

Will I still be able to install the DesireData interface and use
it with Pd?

Why are these great new objects like [tracecall] that Mathieu is
building not being added to Pd?

--
Use the source