[PD] arduino+solenoid concert

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 03:36:25 CEST 2007

straw + 300m of 32 SWG copper wire + iron nail + lots of patience = solenoid

I used to make these as a kid, mini rail guns to fire nails :)
You can rig up a slow spinning drill to help you wind them quicker.
Watch they don't get too hot and melt the drinking straw. Resistance
should be about 100 ohms. A good trick is to charge a 10,000 uF capacitor
so you can get a hefty pulse of current.

Otherwise... pinball machines, doorbells (the ding - dong type)

If you don't mind high voltage types (I advise 12v types to be safe)
then scrap dishwashers and washing machines can be mined for them.

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:16:59 +1000
naysayer <gateswideopen at gmail.com> wrote:

> i roman,
> i was just revisiting this thread. could you tell me what solenoids
> you used, i'm have a really hard time finding cheap domestic solenoids
> for a similar project. they all seem to be really expensive. is there
> a good place to purchase cheap solenoids, or somewhere to get second
> hand ones.
>
> cheers.
>
> tom
>
> On 6/22/07, Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 09:21 -0400, Alexandre Quessy wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > > I don't want to insist... but a task like this would be much easier
> > > with the http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/SimpleMessageSystem
> > > than with something not-as-flexible like Pduino.

> > yo, are talking about the task i described here:
> >
> > http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2007-06/051211.html
> >
> > i certainly will have a look at SMS as well...
> > thank you for mentioning it.
> >
> > roman

Use the source