[PD] GEM pix_buffer

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 20:59:52 CEST 2007

On 7/23/07, Derek Holzer <derek at umatic.nl> wrote:

> That's the problem... we're long on memory and short on CPU with the
> patch I'm working on. I hoped I could use [pix_buffer] to get some of
> that CPU back at the expense of a lot of RAM...
>
> Besides, I couldn't preload *all* my clips with the 'ram' message
> anyways. Only the one I'm currently playing. My patch has 48 clips which
> will be addressed by three different players, so a way of storing all
> the vids ahead of time is required to avoid lagtime starting the video
> when it's requested.

Can you fit all 48 clips uncompressed into RAM?  A 1 second clip at 640x480
30fps in YCbCr is about 18.5MB (double that for RGBA) which would allow 3
and a half minutes of video to fit in 32bit address space.

Try creating a RAM disk and copy the uncompressed clips into that.  RAM
disks might even allow for greater than 32 bit sizes.