[PD] [PD-announce] the end of type restrictions

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jul 23 23:57:34 CEST 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 10:51 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007, Thomas Grill wrote:
>
>> The question for me is rather why desiredata announcements are
>> posted into the PD-list given that the codebase has moved away in
>> a way that makes it impossible to transfer most of the features.
>> Although I find DD an interesting project, it's essentially off-
>> topic for the pd-list.
>
> Tell me: is this a mailing-list about pd the language, or about pd
> the implementation? How do you know that?
>
> It's very possible for you to transfer the features. You only have
> to rewrite the code the way that Miller wants them to be written like.

I think it's a good idea to start exploring how to make Pd a cleaner
language, but there are ways of softening the blow of drastic
changes.  One thing that you could do to lighten the impact is to
make a separate library that has your versions of route, pack, etc.
Then if we strip out as much as possible from the Pd core language,
and stick it all into libraries, then it would be quite easy to
switch between the compatible versions and your new versions.

Another option is to use different names.

.hc