[PD] GEM installation OS 10.3.9 "how do I do it?"

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jul 24 18:10:50 CEST 2007

On Jul 24, 2007, at 7:30 AM, alan brooker wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a G4 as well and I have had the same problems...what I have
> found out is that rc4-extended for ppc uses a new version of Gem,
> unfortunately this new version has not be released for G4s (g5 only).
>

> I have a work around where you swap an older version of Gem (used
> in extended pd 38) and replace it with the new version. This is
> easy to do and it means you can use Gem in rc4-extended, you don't
> even need to go into the terminal. If you want instructions let me
> know and I post them.

I was running Pd-extended on a G4 without problems until about a
month or so ago, when my powerbook died.  The Gem in Pd-0.39.2-
extended-rc4 is built from source on a G4, so it should work there.
Nothing changed in the build process (that I know of) in the last few
months, so I would be surprised if somehow it switched.

> Can you not load any library at all? Do a test, open a new patch
> and type in [moog~] or [freeverb~]. If any of these objects have
> not loaded correctly it means you could have a plist conflict. I
> have had this problem as well and it is easy to sort out, again you
> don't need to go into the terminal. Please let me know if you
> require instructions

With the most recent releases, it's best to not have a prefrences
file at all, since the prefs are embedded in the app now.  Try
trashing ~/Library/Preferences/org.puredata.pd.plist

> However PDP remains a mystery to me and if anyone has actually use
> PDP on osx at any point ever, please let me know.

It works everywhere I've tested it.  You need to have X11 installed,
which is on the Mac OS X DVD.

.hc

> Kind Thanks
>

> Al
>

> On 7/23/07, Daniel Zajicek <danzajicek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have downloaded PD, and have been trying to get GEM to work for most
> of today. I have downloaded
> Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc4-macosx104-powerpc.dmg from Han's site
> (http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html), but I continually get
> errors saying:
>

> iemabs: can't load library
> iemmatrix: can't load library
> liblist: can't load library
>
> pdp_text : severe error : could not load default font : no
> rendering !!!
> pdp_qtext : severe error : could not load default font : no
> rendering !!!
>
> In addition, I was unable to create objects, and instead pd would
> create a box with a dashed line around it (is this a comment box?).
>
> So, thwarted by that, I downloaded Miller's most current version of pd
> 40-2, and thought I might just put GEM on there myself, but I can't
> figure out how to do it. This is my first time working with a program
> like pd, and I could used some assistance either installing GEM, or
> getting pd-extended to work.
>
> If it helps, I am running OS 10.3.9, on an G4 powerbook.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dan Zajicek

----

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom