[PD] restricting threads on PD-announce? (was Re: [PD-announce] the end of type restrictions)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jul 24 20:43:19 CEST 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> should we do some magic to avoid threads on PD-announce? i (think that
> i) could set-up a filter-rule that would automatically catch all emails
> with the "in-reply-to" header set and reject them. is this a good idea?
> are there any caveats? (dunno, but probably somebody wants to post a
> legit email to pd-announce which is in fact a reply to somebody's mail,
> e.g. because a thread turned into an announcment)

Perhaps you could consult the existing pd-announce archives and scan
for in-reply-to... Most of the headers are missing from the public
archives, but in-reply-to is one of the preserved fields.

zgrep -i in-reply-to 2007-07.txt.gz
zgrep -i in-reply-to 2007-06.txt.gz
zgrep -i in-reply-to 2007-05.txt.gz

will give you an idea of how many mails would be rejected.

An easier way to handle this is to put the whole pd-announce archive in
mailbox format and look at it in a mail thread viewer, but this only
covers replies to other pd-announce, so you still have to zgrep to figure
out in-reply-to relationships with external sources of email.