[PD] pd running fine, then unexpectedly freezing on ubuntu

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jul 26 01:51:12 CEST 2007

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Which version?  I just installed Ubuntu Studio, and have played with Pd only
> a bit so far.  I definitely haven't seen anything like that.  If the whole
> thing is freezing, then it's very unlikely to Pd's fault, since the OS will
> prevent programs that kind of access.

Not true... I got sudden freezes (presumably kernel panics, but could not
see any error messages) while just trying out GEM's DV camera support code
transplanted into GF. I wasn't in suid root not root login, just plain
user. That was in 2006 with some distro dated >= 2004. This is just
an anecdote, but this isn't something so unlikely, because it was a usual
kernel of a usual distro.