[PD] "GL: out of memory" - which memory?

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 00:58:03 CEST 2007

On 7/24/07, Matteo Sisti Sette <matteo.sistisette at email.it> wrote:

> When the error message "GL: out of memory" appears on the PD output
> window,
> does it mean that it has run out of computer RAM, or is it the graphics
> card's memory?

The GL documentation is unclear on which.  The official word is here:

http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glGetError.xml

                        There is not enough memory left to execute the
command.
                        The state of the GL is undefined,
                        except for the state of the error flags,
                        after this error is recorded."

You can easily check main memory usage with top or Window's process manager
thingy.  I have tested OSX extensively enough to say that pix_film/movie are
extremely unlikely to leak memory.  WIndows is less tested but it should run
for days or weeks constantly loading and unloading movies (36 days is the
longest I have gotten a WinXP machine to run without something going wrong).

Texture VRAM should be paged out to main memory if the card if full and
performance will suffer greatly when this happens.  If you have a system
with shared CPU and GPU memory then that could be a problem too.

You have not said what OS and hardware you have, which would be very
helpful.