[PD] 39.3-extended-rc5 - FFT causes audio failure on 1.67 G4

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Aug 2 04:23:13 CEST 2007

Hmm, that's a strange bug.  I can't reproduce this on a Mac/Intel,
but I could on another 1.67GHz Mac runing 10.4.10  My guess is that
it's another manifestation of that same 1.67 Mac audio bug.  It
worked fine for me using the latest Pd-0.40.3-extended nightly build:

http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/2007-08-01/Pd-0.40.3-
extended-20070801-macosx104-powerpc.dmg

.hc

On Aug 1, 2007, at 2:24 PM, Ed Richardson wrote:

> Browser/Audio Examples/I04.noisegate.pd causes a complete failure
> of audio in Pd-0.39.3-extended-rc5-macosx104-powerpc.dmg.
>
> system:
> mac os 10.4.10
> 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4
>
> Upon adjusting either the sampler or noise amplitude parameters,
> there is a fairly loud single pop, upon which all audio ceases on
> the computer altogether. Audio will only resume once I quit Pd.
>
> Neither of the following strategies in any combination improve this
> situation:
> 48K instead of 44.1K
> use of JACK rather than portaudio
>
> I believe several other fft-based patches are affected by this.
>
> This is not a problem in any of the following:
> 38.4-extended
> 39.2-non-extended
> 40.2-non-extended
>
> ---
>
> Also, I'm curious what anyone knows about the frequent Pd-related
> audio card issues with the 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4 Powerbook.

----

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste