[PD] pd on MacPro intel Xeon 64 bit

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Aug 4 04:40:38 CEST 2007

Just curious, why wouldn't there ever be a 64-bit version of GEM?
I've been thinking that a 64-bit build of Pd-extended would be nice
to have, especially because using 64-bit floats as Pd's native format
would make it much more flexible.  You could represent UNIX
timestamps properly, for example.

.hc

On Aug 3, 2007, at 1:19 PM, chris clepper wrote:

> I have at least 4 MacPros running GEM here right now.  Assuming you
> want to run OSX there aren't that many problems related to the
> Intel chips beyond the general decrease in performance over the
> previous G5/PPC 970.
>
> There is no 64bit version of GEM for OSX and there never will be one.
>
> On 8/3/07, bigswift at cox.net < bigswift at cox.net> wrote:
> hi
>
> i just received a new g5 and wanted to get tips and pointers and
> caveats regarding pd on this machine, ideally it will run pd,Gem
> and pdp/pidip etc..
>
> links, frozen warnings etc... anticipated
>
> pp
>

> Patrick Pagano
> Sound and Light Technologist
> School of Theatre and Dance
> University of Florida

----

Mistrust authority - promote decentralization.  - the hacker ethic