[PD] midi controller advice?

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Aug 7 00:51:19 CEST 2007

moin Conor,

On 2007-08-06 23:56:30, Conor J Curran <forward at forwind.net> appears to
have written:
> Hi all,
> I was looking around recently for a foot controlled midi controller. The
> more expression pedals the better. I was under the impression that the
> expression pedals have a range of 0-127 (is this correct?).

Yep, that's what mine do.

> I was hoping
> to map as many expression pedals to a controller number each in order
> for each pedal to control some aspect of an external.
>
> The only midi controller I could find which had a decent number of
> pedals was the fatar mp117.

... looks cool, but also very much like an organ-emulator rather than an
expression pedal bank.

I recently got a behringer fcb1010, which has 2 expression pedals, 10
bang stompers, and 2 vestigial stompers (device-internal use only).
I've been using the bangs (via [pgmin]->[route]) to select where the
expression pedal data goes (via [sprinkler]), which works quite well.
the device itself is cheap but poorly constructed:  in particular, the
expression pedals use a good 80% of their physical range for maybe 10%
of the data range ... with only whole byte values, that's a serious pain
... but hey, it's behringer: what did i expect?.  I think roland and
yamaha also make 1-2 expression pedal multi-bang stompboxes along the
same lines, but have never used them.

If I had the time, I'd get an arduino and a mess of burned out wah
pedals on ebay and solder my own ;-)

marmosets,
	Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology