[PD] midi controller advice?

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Aug 10 13:12:14 CEST 2007

moin Martin,

On 2007-08-10 11:54:55, "Martin Dupras" <martindupras at gmail.com> appears
to have written:
> I also use an FCB1010 with pretty good results.
>
> I'm not sure I understand that 80% of the range giving 10% of the values
> comment.

I get almost the full 0-127 range out of the pedals, but the problem is
that When a pedal is ca. 80% pressed towards the top of its range, the
MIDI value output is only about 13 (~= 127 * 0.1).  The remaining 114
values all seem to reside in the final 20% of the physical pedal range.
 It's a bit of a pain to work with since the "useful" values in the
13-127 range are clumped so closely together, and that makes the pedal
seem overly sensitive to me.

I've read in another forum that such behavior is common among new-ish
fcb1010 versions, and is a consequence of the the mechanical translation
from the pedal position to the underlying potentiometer: since a rotary
poti is used, the actual value plot ought to follow a sinus curve, but I
haven't tested this systematically.

> I have an FCB1010 abstraction that I've made. If it's useful to anyone,
> email me and I can send it to you.

I'm interested!  In fact, I've written such an abstraction as well,
which I'm also happy to share.

marmosets,
	Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology