[PD] PolyPoly - tricky to modify

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Aug 11 13:00:23 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Phil Stone hat gesagt: // Phil Stone wrote:

> This actually worked great, with one small problem -- the $0-poly
> subpatch, which is where the magic of [polypoly] mostly seems to occur,
> doesn't respond well to editing of its parent.  There's dynamic
> instantiation using $0- variables going on here, and I think that's what
> is getting messed up by editing -- these extra lines appear in the
> edited version:
>
> #X obj 50 60 r 1002-in1;
> #X obj 199 60 r 1002-in2;
> #X obj 50 200 throw~ 1002-out0;
> #X obj 199 200 throw~ 1002-out1;
>
> and the subpatch invocation is this:
>
> #N canvas 7 455 362 318 1002-poly 0;   (edited)
>
> instead of:
>
> #N canvas 7 455 362 318 \$0-poly 0;       (original)
>
> These cause startup errors, although after that, everything seems to
> work fine.
>
> I'm not sure how to correctly edit self-modifying patches such as this.
> What's the trick?

The trick is to start with an empty [pd $0-poly] subpatch and add
everything there by dynamic patching only!

That's what the "clear" message somewhere in the initialization
subpatch does. So in the end it doesn't matter what's saved inside of
[pd $0-poly] after editing, it will be deleted again aynways on startup.

Clearing the subpatch this way ensures, that I keep total control over
the subpatch's content and especially over the order, the objects
inside of it are created. Knowing the order is important as soon as
"connect" messages are used, because these work with enumerated
objects.

On dynamic creation of $0-objects, Pd will replace the $0 with its
current value, for example "1002", but as that is unique for that
patch, it's not necessary to keep an explicit "\$0" in the name. As
mentioned above: This will be deleted anyways.

>  Should I just edit the text directly?  I've attached
> the modified version of [polypoly].  By the way, Frank, will [polypoly]
> be made available from CVS?  I think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Added to @ACTION. ;)

Ciao