[PD] PolyPoly - tricky to modify

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Sat Aug 11 20:05:27 CEST 2007

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Phil Stone hat gesagt: // Phil Stone wrote:
>

> The trick is to start with an empty [pd $0-poly] subpatch and add
> everything there by dynamic patching only!
> That's what the "clear" message somewhere in the initialization
> subpatch does. So in the end it doesn't matter what's saved inside of
> [pd $0-poly] after editing, it will be deleted again aynways on startup.

With the small caveat that if you don't start with a clean [pd $0-poly],
you get errors like:

error: throw~ 1002-out0: no matching catch
error: throw~ 1002-out1: no matching catch

on startup.  Because of the initial "clear" message you've implemented,
this causes no trouble after startup.

 From another follow-up:

> Forgot to reply to this part: You actually don't need a separate inlet
> for this. Just send a "clear" or "stop" message to the first inlet!  ;)
>
> It's connected to the [poly]-object direct so it will accept all
> messages, that [poly] accepts as well.

D'oh!  Sometimes the obvious approach flies right over my head!
Nevertheless, I appreciate your patience in explaining this powerful
object, Frank, and thanks for putting it in CVS.

Phil Stone
http://www.pkstonemusic.com