[PD] difference send and using msg with ";"

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Aug 16 19:07:12 CEST 2007

Hallo,
marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:

> when I look through miller's tutorial patches, I often find ";-messages"
> instead of a send object like:
> [;detune $1(
> vs
> [s detune]
> I wonder why, is there a significant difference?

I cannot speak for Miller, but one difference with message-senders is,
that you send to various receivers in one go:

[; detune 0.2; freq 440; vol 80; ...(

which sometimes is handy for initializing many things with one click
and in a central place.

Also msg-bangs will warn, if there is no receiver available.
send-sends just send and ignore it, if they send to nothing.

> is one more efficient then the other

send-sends are much more effective than msg-sends, I suppose mostly
because of dollar-variable replacements. See attached benchmark-patch.

Ciao