[PD] difference send and using msg with ";"

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Aug 17 00:00:21 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:

> I've never profiled it, but I think for a single number, using a
> "send" object is more efficient, but for anything else (like if you
> have to use a message box anyway to format the message or if you're
> sending more than one) the message box wins.

Hm, but isn't that an unfair comparison? Just for sending stuff, I've
found that [send] is way faster than a message box, regardless if I'm
sending a number only or longer lists. ([s] is almost twice as fast in
the little benchmark I posted.)

If one also does some formatting operations, then that's something, a
pure [send] cannot do, no fair benchmark comparison could be made
between a [send] and a message alone, as the [send] would need an
additional msg-box.

Ciao