[PD] $0 in messages (was: Re: difference send and using msg with "; ")

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Aug 17 06:25:18 CEST 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Kevin McCoy wrote:

> How does the 4 digit number get assigned to $0?  I have always been
> curious about this.

It's a special case in the program. It comes from the canvas environment,
which exists for every non-subpatch canvas. Every such canvas gets a new
number. it starts at 1000 and every new canvas gets a new number.

It can be more than 4 digits. You can go up to 1000000 before it breaks
A_DOLLSYM (dollar-in-symbol) and up to 16777216 in A_DOLLAR (standalone
dollar). Adding more RAM or going to 64-bit mode does not raise those
limits.

Outside of pd, you can have much bigger numbers assigned to $0. For
example, if you have a bill of 500,000,000,000 yugoslav dinars
(http://images.goantiques.com/dbimages/UYR9212/UYR9212yd500.jpg), you can
rest assured that it has the same value as $0.