[PD] difference send and using msg with ";"

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Aug 17 08:49:05 CEST 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Matteo Sisti Sette hat gesagt: // Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
>> Am I using some 0.40-only feature?
> I think not, because your approach was the one used in the past, when
> [send] wasn't settable yet. But anyway: I also think, you're cheating,
> ecause you're actually changing the message box and thus creating many
> different message boxes on the fly, while the [s] isn't changed for
> variable length lists.

A messagebox is a messagebox. Unlike objectboxes, they are not magically
recreated. Instead, the internal binbuf gets cleared. Sending "set"
messages to messageboxes isn't much different from sending a float to a
[hsl] or [nbx] in "init" mode... and even in "no init" mode, if you look
at saved files closely.

I think you need some categorisation of state with more than two levels,
e.g.:

   1. purely volatile state;
   2. something that will be saved in the patch;
   3. something that will also be reloaded from file;
   4. dynamic patching: obj, msg, connect, ...