[PD] documentation material for Pd related grants, funds, and prizes

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 16:37:54 CEST 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I think it's pretty apparently that no one is really "in charge", like
> an organization or Linus Torvalds is.

yes, there is this community gathering around Pd and people are putting
lot of work into the project; developers, patch coders, users, artists,
tech/industry people, teachers, students, people who provide
infrastructure, servers, rooms, hosting, web designer, people who work
on tutorials, help patches...

> I suppose it depends on what you
> define as Pd.

I am talking 1) about the "core" software (incl. different branches) and
2) about everything that is distributed with it, patches and
infrastructure. not about applications coded with pd.

> Miller is in charge of the core code.

I admire Miller, and what I am saying now could start a flame war: I
think that does not necessarily have to be.

> decision making.  :D

that is the crucial point.

> As for money, if people were paid to work on Pd, then people could spend
> solid, concentrated chunks of time on it.  We could also pay people to
> solve the hard annoying problems, or do cross-platform quality
> assurance, or things like that.  But for this to work, we need to have a
> decision structure that everyone thinks is fair.  I think we should talk
> about this at PdCon.

If there is no "big head" then initatives like summer of code are a good
alternative. encouraging people to set up their own project, funding,
and being in charge of what to do with money.

> In any case I support your effort, I can help by tracking down
> supporting texts, etc.

thnks.
marius.