[PD] documentation material for Pd related grants, funds, and prizes

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Aug 17 20:09:06 CEST 2007

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> while any pure-data dev can add their code to Pd-extended.  You could
> say we are more Bazaar than Mr. Bazaar because the Pd Bazaar has a
> hand in the decision making.  :D

I think that you're confusing people. «The Cathedral and The Buzzword» was
written by ESR. Linus didn't start the Bazaar theory: ESR came up with
that as observation (and perhaps some imagination). I don't think that the
Linux kernel project epitomises "Bazaar"-style of development, it was
simply an early example of very distributed development. You can't take
that and judge it by rules that it doesn't try to follow in a game that it
doesn't try to play.

Real bazaars are more like shopping centres than like that kumbaya idea of
let's make a little place for everybody and everybody will be happy. It's
not quite like
http://www.cinemapassion.com/covers_temp/covers/Les_Calinours_a_vos_souhaits-14322506042006.jpg

Perhaps we could have a walk together to Marché Jean-Talon and contemplate
how much of it can be called a Bazaar and then ask the commerçants one by
one how much they get charged for just taking up space in the market.