[PD] difference send and using msg with ";"

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 18 00:37:58 CEST 2007

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> for messages and objects as in Max? (Personally I prefer that both
> messages and object boxes use a dollarsign for simplicity, but I also
> know from teaching workshops, that many "newbies" get confused by
> this. But then, they also confuse the difference between subpatches
> and abstractions ... it goes away with time.)

Simplicity of the language gets balanced by complexity of what you write
in it. It is not a zero-sum game: a little less complexity in the language
means a lot more complexity in the patches. In the end, it's a loss.

Unlike the difference between subpatches and abstractions, at least part
of the complexity of not having abstraction $ in messageboxes does not go
away with time. It makes clumps around messageboxes and they stick around
there because they are necessary to compensate for a lack of complexity in
pd.