[PD] pd and 64bit Linux again

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 18 08:52:22 CEST 2007

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Winfried Ritsch wrote:

> But since one rule is, never guess, measure why, I have a quick
> question. Is there a profiling tool on oject or message base ? I can
> remember there was one in Max/FTS, so I can find out the bad objects...
> ?

Since I reimplemented the stack overflow checker so that it really checks
every sent message, it's now easier to make a profiler. Actually, I just
made one tonight, when reading your email. It looks like this:

   http://artengine.ca/desiredata/gallery/simple-benchmark.png

those green numbers represent real time, measured hierarchically (that is,
all sent messages count as part of the sender), whereas it could have
excluded sent messages so that all visible times add up (either is more
useful than the other sometimes). It is an exhaustive measurement, that
is, every message is counted, whereas it could be statistical instead,
using unix alarms to make statistics on stack snapshots.

You make the green numbers appear by selecting "get elapsed" from the View
menu.

This example was made from making a few clicks on the messagebox and it is
measured such that 1 unit = 800000000 cpu ticks. in practice my cpu
switched to a higher speed. Correct profiling involves setting the speed
of the cpu to a fixed value so that the values can be displayed in actual
seconds.

If you want to try it out we could meet online and set it up on your
computer.