[PD] audio drop-outs when resizing tables??

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Sun Aug 19 13:30:56 CEST 2007

> Does PD recompute the whole DSP chain whenever a table (with one or more
> tabread~ reading from it) is resized?

yes, the dsp chain is recreated ...

> I'm talking about resizing tables by sending them a [resize( message.
>
> I tried to isolate it in a simple patch but I couldn't reproduce it. But I
> think the only difference with the patch where I am experiencing this is the
> complexity of the global dsp graph, that's why I ask if the dsp graph is
> recomputed.....

sure ... the more complex the dsp graph gets, the cpu time to resort the
graph increases ... of course allocating memory from the underlying os
is not a lightweight operation, either ...

in pd, you shouldn't try to resize / load / store tables during a
performance, except you like the sound of the audio dropout ... if you
need this, i can only suggest to use another program ...

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://tim.klingt.org

Most of the trouble in this world has been caused by folks who can't
mind their own business, because they have no business of their own to
mind, any more than a smallpox virus has.
  William S. Burroughs