[PD] audio drop-outs when resizing tables??

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Sun Aug 19 14:27:43 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 13:53 +0200, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> >> Does PD recompute the whole DSP chain whenever a table (with one or
> more
> >> tabread~ reading from it) is resized?
> >
> >yes, the dsp chain is recreated ...
>
> Why does it need to recompute the dsp graph?
>
> I know nothing about pd internals, but (or should I say "so") I really
> can't
> see the reason for recomputing the dsp graph after resizing a table.

don't ask me, ask miller (imho, this is one of the big design faults of
pd).
i can only guess, that it is done due to performance reasons ... it
saves one pointer dereferencing. this is of course not a real
explanation, as it is perfectly possible to keep track of the pointers
in the dsp chain ... neither is it that expensive to do an additional
pointer dereferencing ...

> It seems it does not even recompute it when you send a
> [set ...( message to
> a tabread~ (at least I get no dropouts)... why do it when you resize
> table?

that is the other direction ... when objects are bound to the table,
then they can just call garray_getfloatarray ... if tables change,
garray_getfloatarray has to be called from all objects, that are bound
to this table ...

cheers, tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://tim.klingt.org

I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion
  Jack Kerouac