[PD] audio drop-outs when resizing tables??

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Mon Aug 20 01:10:16 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 11:09 -0700, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Resizing large memory objects in a real-time thread can block as the
> OS pages other memory out to disk... so the operation is never safe
> unless done in a separate thread.

what's the problem with using a separate thread for non-realtime
operations?

> This would be a major change, and
> would move in the direction of making Pd harder to maintain in the long
> term.

if the overall architecture is powerful enough, this shouldn't really be
a problem ... the threaded buffer resizing of nova is less than 40 lines
of code :)

> Fixing the tabread~ object to do a double dereference would fix the
> problem
> in 99% of cases... which is just the wrong thing to do if you want to
> be
> able to use software on stage :)

aehm ... i'm curious about the other 1% ... from my understanding, the
current hierarchy (object->memory) would just be extended to
(object->buffer->memory), this indirection should give you another level
of abstraction, that can easily be used for error handling ...
if i'm missing something here, please let me know, as the whole buffer
concept of nova is based on this indirection ...

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://tim.klingt.org

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say
"I want to see the manager."
  William S. Burroughs