[PD] difference send and using msg with ";"

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Aug 21 07:05:56 CEST 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 06:37:58PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >for messages and objects as in Max? (Personally I prefer that both
> >messages and object boxes use a dollarsign for simplicity, but I also
> >know from teaching workshops, that many "newbies" get confused by
> >this. But then, they also confuse the difference between subpatches
> >and abstractions ... it goes away with time.)
>
> Simplicity of the language gets balanced by complexity of what you write
> in it. It is not a zero-sum game: a little less complexity in the language
> means a lot more complexity in the patches. In the end, it's a loss.
>
> Unlike the difference between subpatches and abstractions, at least part
> of the complexity of not having abstraction $ in messageboxes does not go
> away with time. It makes clumps around messageboxes and they stick around
> there because they are necessary to compensate for a lack of complexity in
> pd.

My 2 Zimbabwe dollars: I agree that there is no nice reason for those
clumps, and one more inconsistency in Pd would do more good than bad in
this case. I would say making $0 do the same thing in message boxes and
abstraction arguments would overall save time for users and only add a
very small amount of easily-explainable complication.

Best,

Chris.