[PD] [OT] ESR (was Re: documentation material for Pd related grants, funds, and prizes)

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Aug 21 07:32:08 CEST 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 02:09:06PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
> >while any pure-data dev can add their code to Pd-extended.  You could
> >say we are more Bazaar than Mr. Bazaar because the Pd Bazaar has a
> >hand in the decision making.  :D
>
> I think that you're confusing people. «The Cathedral and The Buzzword» was
> written by ESR. Linus didn't start the Bazaar theory: ESR came up with
> that as observation (and perhaps some imagination).

ESR's wild imagination is oft lampooned in the comic Everybody Loves
Eris S. Raymond.

<http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/>
<http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/archive/microsoft-job-offer>

The end of the "Interests and politics" section of his Wikipedia page is
quite illuminating:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_S._Raymond>

In my opinion, his views on race, religion, and politics obscure any
kind of intelligent comments he has made in relation to software. The
Cathedral and The Bazaar is an interesting read, but full of so much
speculative pseudo science that I felt slightly ill after reading it.

Best,

Chris.