[PD] SMP Questions

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 21 21:40:16 CEST 2007

Tim Blechmann wrote:
>> Anyone know if PD is aided by SMP?
>>

> basically no ...

With the small exception that, as Hans mentioned, two cores will be of
benefit because the graphics process can run on its own core.

>> I'm throwing together a new box in which I will install UbuntuStudio
>> with the intention of using it as a live processing rig for live
>> performance using PD.  I'm interested in discovering whether it makes
>> more sense to get a Core 2 Quad processor that runs with a bus speed
>> of 1066 or a Core 2 Duo processor that runs with a bus speed of 1333.
>>

> to make use of a multicore machine the only way to utilize all cores is
> to run several instances of pd, that are connected via jackdmp.

Now *there's* an idea.  Would that really work?  What would be the
downside -- aside from the memory needed to run multiple copies of PD? I
can imagine a very powerful modular system built on this model.

Phil Stone
http://pkstonemusic.com/pubmusic.html