[PD] SMP Questions

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Aug 21 22:35:23 CEST 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Matthew Polashek wrote:
>>> basically no ...
>> With the small exception that, as Hans mentioned, two cores will be
>> of benefit because the graphics process can run on its own core.
> This is not insignificant.

This affects the GUI and the display server. For anything [pix_...] it
runs in the same process as the rest.

I've started to accelerate TkCanvas so that it takes less CPU and/or GPU.
I often get as much as a fourfold increase of CPU usage, but there are
downsides that need to be corrected as well. TkCanvas needs acceleration
in general for a wide range of situations. I have more ideas to try.

> More importantly, can multiple instance of PD run under one user or
> would it need to be under different users?  Also, would they be able
> to communicate with each other, or would Jackdmp handle the
> intercommunication?

You always can run Pd several times as the same user at the same time,
although for OSX you have to do something slightly special, as was
mentioned here earlier this month.