[PD] random movieclips with pdp_qt

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Aug 24 04:09:21 CEST 2007

Quoting Riku Mäkinen <makinen.riku at gmail.com>:

> Hi, I can´t figure out how to open random movieclips with pdp_qt. When
> I send open $1/1.mov to pdp_qt it works fine and Pd opens the clip but
> how do I make second number of the message variable? (Something like
> open $1/$2.mov??)

yes that will work on newer pd-versions (might work with 0.40; surely
does work with 0.41)
i think it is also included in pd-extended with lower versions (that
is: 0.39 probably)

> By the way I don´t really understand whole
> dollarsign-stuff..

i don't have time now to answer your question in detail.
basically it is a way to address elements of a list: in message boxes
this list is the incoming list, in object boxes it is the list of
arguments of the abstraction the object is embedded in.

this has been discussed and explained a lot on this list, so you might
want to search the archives.

> With GEM I managed to do wellworking
> videoclip-randomplayer

i do not understand how it would work in Gem but not in pdp.
in both you have to send the "random" filename to the object to open
it, so you should have the problem you have with pdp also with Gem.

> but I need to use some blur-effects of pdp for
> videoinstallation.

in theory you could also use the gem2pdp bridge (inject Gem-pixes into
a pdp-chain), but here this would be really just a hack.

mfga.sdr
IOhannes