[PD] Simple midi controller for installation

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 06:31:30 CEST 2007

Becuase you want 16 or less buttons its easy. You don't need
a key scanner so just a 6402 (aka AY-5-101-5) is basically
all you want. You can get em for pennies.

>From memory you want a 500kHz clock, but 1MHz crystals are more
common so a flip flop will divide it in half.

You pull a few pins up or down to set it in transmit mode.
Put a cap and resistor on pin 21 to send a reset/init pulse.
 A 74922 will scan 16 keys into 4 bits. Hard wire the note-on
and velocity byte and it should work.

data sheet and last item here is basically it..

http://faculty.cs.tamu.edu/rabi/ppcproj/lcdkeypad/lcdkeypad.html

also intersting, link via Bobby Whelans site

http://www.borg.com/%7Ejglatt/hardware/key.htm

but uses a PIC which is annoying because it needs
programming.

Or, find Robert Penfolds book "Midi Projects"
from which I built one of these in 1984 when I was a teenager.
Good Lord! People still use MIDI :D

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:45:02 +0100
Stuart Jones <s.jones at csm.arts.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm helping with an installation which will have 12-16 buttons (on/off) to
> set off events in Pd and need to find a simple midi controller to just send
> note on and note off messages on 12-16 notes to do that. I could hack a midi
> keyboard but that would be a complicated and bulky solution given the size
> of the installation. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stuart

Use the source