[PD] cannot get Motu Ultralite to use multichannel input in Windows (neither ASIO nor MMIO)

matteo sisti sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 19:38:09 CEST 2007

Hi list,

I have a Motu Ultralite FireWire external audio interface, and I need to use
4 channel input and 2 channel output, in Windows XP.
I have tried everything but either I cannot get 4 input, or I cannot get the
output.
With PD, of course.

Here are more details.

This card is supposed to have:
- 8 analog input channels called Analog (1 to 8)
- 2(?) digital spdif input channels called "SPDIF"
- 2 virtual input channels called Mix which I don't know whether it is a
mixdown of inputs or of outputs but I don't care;
and:
-8 analog output channels called Analog (1 to 8)
-2 more analog output channels called Main Outs
-2 more analog output channels called Phones
-2(?) digital spdif output channels called SPDIF

If I work with MMIO, the list of devices I can select for input are:

** MMIO INPUT DEVICES **
- MOTU Analog
- Realtek HD audio input
- MOTU Mix1
- MOTU SPDIF

** MMIO OUTPUT DEVICES **
- MOTU Main Outs
- Realtek HD audio output
- MOTU Phones
- MOTU Analog
- MOTU SPDIF

where Realtek HD is my integrated internal audio card.

They are listed just as I wrote them: with no channel numbers.

So, by using "use multiple devices", I have no way of selecting Analog 1,2
AND Analog 3,4 as inputs.
And if I don't activate "use multiple devices" and I write "4" as the number
of input channels, it doesn't work: it simply uses MOTU Analog 1 and 2 as
the first two channels, and Realtek inputs as the 3rd and 4th channel.

So, I tried with ASIO.

If I select ASIO, I get the following device lists:

** ASIO INPUT DEVICES **
- (0) Window sound mapper (or something like that: I'm translating from
Spanish)
 - (0) MOTU Analog
- (0) Realtek HD audio input
- (0) MOTU Mix1
- (0) MOTU SPDIF
- (1) MOTU Audio ASIO

** ASIO OUTPUT DEVICES **
 - (0) Window sound mapper (same as above)
 - (0) MOTU Main Outs
- (0) Realtek HD audio output
- (0) MOTU Phones
- (0) MOTU Analog
- (0) MOTU SPDIF
- (1) MOTU Audio ASIO

Now, there's NO WAY of getting both 4 inputs and 2 outputs.
Wherever I try to use 4 input channels, I get no input and no output at all.

Here are some combinations of settings I tried, and the results I get:

** A **
INPUT: (1) MOTU Audio ASIO - Channels: 4
OUTPUT: (1) MOTU Audio ASIO - Channels: 2
RESULT: no input and no output at all!

** B **
INPUT: (1) MOTU Audio ASIO - Channels: 2
OUTPUT: (1) MOTU AUDIO ASIO - Channels: 2
RESULT: 2 input channels work, but no output at all.

** C **
INPUT: (0) MOTU Analog - Channels: 4
OUTPUT: (0) MOTU Main Outs - Channels: 2
RESULT: no input and output at all

** D **
 INPUT: (0) MOTU Analog - Channels: 2
OUTPUT: (0) MOTU Main Outs - Channels: 2
RESULT: 2 in 2 out working. This is the best I can get, and this is the same
as MMIO, but I need 4 in.

 ** E **
INPUT: (0) MOTU Analog - Channels: 4
OUTPUT: (0) MOTU Main Outs - Channels: 4
RESULT: no input and output at all

(tried this last one just in case the number of in and out channels had to
be the same... pure superstition)

Etcetera.
I even tried insane combinations. No way.

Has anyone ever managed to use 4 in / 2 out (also interested in 4 in / 4
out) with this sound card in Windows with PD?
How???

And what about other cards? Is this a general issue with ASIO, or specific
to this card?
Is it possible at all with MMIO to get 4 in /2 out or 4 in / 4 out?

I am really desperate.
I can even change sound card if I know it will work.

Thank you in advance,
Matteo